I am pretty much fully recovered from all the graduation madness. Do you notice what I just said? And that I mean it? I cannot take credit for that miracle--the Lord has been very gracious with me the last few days. :D
Earlier this year I created a "Summer Reading List" in the hopes that I'd get some of it accomplished. Although my year has consisted of several campaigns, a camp, extensive wedding prep, several huge family events like a thirteenth birthday and a double-graduation, I've managed a fair amount of reading. What did I get through? Well, of course it's not the end of December yet so the list will likely grow, but here's what's up so far. I've linked to all the books I have reviewed.
Historical fiction:
Crispin: The Cross of Lead by Avi
Return to Zion by Brodie Thoene
The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff
Sarah Bishop by Scott O'Dell
With Fire and Sword by Henryk Sienkiewicz
The Silver Branch by Rosemary Sutcliff
The Lantern Bearers by Rosemary Sutcliff
The Shadow Things by Jennifer Freitag
Classics:
Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
Pudd'nhead Wilson by Mark Twain
The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Children's Lit:
Rufus M by Eleanor Estes
Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster
Rascal by Sterling North
Freddy Goes to Florida by Walter R. Brooks
Fantasy:
The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner
The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner
Romance:
The Princess by Lori Wick
With Every Letter by Sarah Sundin
The Sound of Diamonds by Rachelle Rea
General Fiction:
Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
Something Fresh by P.G.Wodehouse
Thank You, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
Monster by Mirriam Neal
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
ASHBURN by Julia Erickson
Non-Fiction or Christianity:
A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Bud & Me by Alta Abernathy
One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
A Chance to Die by Elisabeth Elliot
Just Do Something by Kevin deYoung
Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis
Great Souls by David Aikman (in progress)
The Narnian by Alan Jacobs (in progress)
Goodreads (which I caved and joined this year, much to my contentment) assures me I have read 12,037 or so pages this year. Ho-ho! That's rather a good job, I should say! It informs me that my longest title at 1,463 pages was Les Miserables. With Fire and Sword was a close second at around 1,143 or so pages. I can only say WHOOSH! It also says I have read 35 titles this year. UNTRUE! Just because four of the titles I read are yet unpublished, and the fifth unlisted on Goodreads does NOT mean I have not read the 40 books I lay claim to. ;) Come, come! Let's be friends and Goodreads and compare notes on all sorts of stories!
DITL: Day in the Life (August)
3 weeks ago
Oh, my gosh, I'm on there. I think my heart just stopped.
ReplyDelete{And what did you think of 1000Gifts? That book is life-changing for me.}
I really really enjoyed it. Such a refreshing style and idea behind it! She had me crying. :)
DeleteWow that list makes mine look a snack, :)) I haven't read sarah bishop.
ReplyDeleteBut my sister has the book, Its not every day a book has your full name on it ! did you like it ? I have read most of the classics, except les mis, was that hard to go through ? It just seems an undertaking of epic proportions.
and portrait of a lady, it sounds like a good one. And the unpublished titles are the best, and should be considered too.
blessings~ Rachel Hope
Ps I am so happy to hear your family party went well, though I hope you slept in next day. I was exhausted just reading about it, and then you had to deal with emotionally proud feels, so.And the amount of guests ? that too would seem daunting. I shall now end this long pointless comment.
I liked Sarah Bishop. It was only YA fiction, and therefore not really challenging, but it was interesting!
DeleteThat's some pretty good reading!
ReplyDeleteThough, I don't think I would label Daddy-Long-Legs as children's lit...
Great list...wish I had had the time to do that much reading this year! (Textbooks don't exactly count as "good reading") :) The Screwtape Letters is one of my favorites- what did you think of it? -Kendal
ReplyDeleteKendal, it's one of my favorites too! Definitely a brain work-out, as you have to reverse everything, but a classic! Makes you really think about where you stand!
DeleteA lot of reading! Some of those sound rather good too. And I am glad to see I am not the only one who reads children books.
ReplyDeleteI am on Goodreads as well.Here is my link if you should like to add me on there
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5862775.Jack_Lewis_Baillot
I joined Goodreads in April and set a goal for the rest of the year (will you be setting one for 2013??) I just reached my goal yesterday! :) Goodreads says I read about 16,797 pages this year!
ReplyDeleteI think one thing that majorly upped my reading was that a friend and I did a challenge during the summer to see who could read the most books. She beat me, but I still love a challenge!