Prequel
to Bleeding
Heart
Old hurts, new betrayals, and a love that survives them all...
Summer 1885
A startling revelation sends Elizabeth Lawson escaping into a stormy night - and tosses her into the arms of a young mountain man with secrets of his own. When he offers to take her to the Nevada mining town where her long-lost brother lives, she accepts. Suspicions and uncertainties are pushed aside as she struggles to forge a future for herself by meeting her past.
David has been hiding from his painful memories for years. The solitude and wildness of the Rocky Mountains are challenge and comfort enough for him - until Elizabeth's arrival. Fueled by anger and a sense of obligation, he strives to take control of his new situation...only to find control slipping from his grasp with each new emotion Elizabeth evokes in him.
When their journey leads them on unexpected paths, can two lonely hearts find the strength to remember the good amid the heartbreak?Inspirational Historical Romance
Old hurts, new betrayals, and a love that survives them all...
Summer 1885
A startling revelation sends Elizabeth Lawson escaping into a stormy night - and tosses her into the arms of a young mountain man with secrets of his own. When he offers to take her to the Nevada mining town where her long-lost brother lives, she accepts. Suspicions and uncertainties are pushed aside as she struggles to forge a future for herself by meeting her past.
David has been hiding from his painful memories for years. The solitude and wildness of the Rocky Mountains are challenge and comfort enough for him - until Elizabeth's arrival. Fueled by anger and a sense of obligation, he strives to take control of his new situation...only to find control slipping from his grasp with each new emotion Elizabeth evokes in him.
When their journey leads them on unexpected paths, can two lonely hearts find the strength to remember the good amid the heartbreak?Inspirational Historical Romance
What I Enjoyed About This Book:
Amber's setting is quite believable and well-researched. I'm not the hugest fan of western fiction but she drew me into Virginia City and kept me there with vivid descriptions. When I read her historical note at the back of the book and found she had actually been to her location, that explained much. Amber did a fabulous job portraying a precarious, immoral town that masquerades as something fabulous. I liked the men of the book and the fact that David in particular is such a gentleman. Even though he had me roiling mad at moments, there was still a humility about him I find precious. Plus, I fall hard for brown eyes. Besides David, I appreciated Joe and got rather fond of Myghal, the Cornish miner. In subsequent books we apparently get more time with both of them so that's something exciting to look forward to!
Elizabeth is a peppy heroine that could easily have gotten sidelined with the reams of other high-spirited western fiction heroines except for the fact that she didn't. What I mean by this is that Amber Stokes managed to portray someone deeper than many characters of whom I've read. Yeah, she's headstrong and annoying in moments, but I found myself attributing this to the fact that Elizabeth truly is young and inexperienced...there is room and time for her to grow and for now her sweetness manages to win you past her flaws.
What I Didn't Enjoy About This Book:
I am admittedly not the biggest fan of love triangles and found myself frustrated for one character while at the same time dreamy-happy for the others. This is unavoidable in a love triangle and is thus only a quirk of my own personality. Amber played the triangle delicately and with a polished hand. Since this is a series, everything is not entirely resolved at the end and I can live with that, knowing the story goes on. :)
The attraction begins at first sight in Forget Me Not and while this isn't my favorite manner of two people falling in love, it is undoubtedly honest (as I know from experience). I am, perhaps, idealistic and prefer people not taking into account physical appearance, but I think that's because I don't expect to win anyone myself by my ravishing beauty so I get a slight panicky feeling. ;)
All in All:
Forget-Me-Not is a beautiful story that takes delicate topics and weaves them into a web of forgiveness, mercy, and transformation. If you enjoy historical romance, you will definitely want to take a look at this brand new, precious story from Amber Stokes!
Book Website: http://forgetmenotnovel.blogspot.com/
Series
Blog:
http://theheartsspringseries.blogspot.com/
About
the Author
(Bio picture attached to e-mail)
Amber
Stokes has a Bachelor of Science degree in English and a passion for
the written word - from blogging to writing poetry, short stories,
and novels. After her brief time at college in Oregon, she is now
back home among the redwoods of Northern California, living life one
day at a time and pursuing her passion via freelance
editing and self-publishing.
{This review is full of my honest thoughts and opinions. I was given a copy of Forget Me Not by the author to review under no circumstances but to give my honest opinion on the book.)


What a wonderful review, Rachel! I'm so glad Rachelle "introduced" us - the self-pubbing sisters! ;) Thank you so much for taking the time to be on my blog tour team, and for your lovely and encouraging words. I'm thrilled I could drag you off to Virginia City for a while. ;) And your words about Elizabeth have touched me. ♥
ReplyDelete~Amber
Saw this post so I purchased the book for my kindle... am currently in the third part.. =)
ReplyDeleteAww, I'm so honored you went out and purchased a copy - and you're reading it right away! Thanks so much! I hope the story blesses you. :)
Delete~Amber